Fly the flag on 9-11

Hi Hon,

As old blue eye's friend Dean would say " you don't have to Splain" what you post.

Just remember Gratiot & 8 mile road.

papa

Hi Papa:

You are right. I was just told by another vet on the phone last night, "Don't apologize for what you feel and said. That is a sign of weakness." He's right, you are right. What I spoke is from the heart. I should not have to apologize for it.

So I apologize for apologizing. :lol::lol::lol: Okay, I'll stop, I have myself in stitches laughing out loud!!! :lol::lol:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Mare; I shouldn't have erased my original post. Ithought that by doing so, it would put an end to the issue, but not so.

You are right when you say that people show their patriotism in different ways. I wear it on my sleave, so to speak. Probably because I spent most of my service time in schools, while others were out there paying for my tuition.

So, come Monday, I will hoist "OLD GLORY". Quietly, of course.

Hoping we're all still friends

chuck

Flying the flag. If one can fly our flag in the PROPER way I am all for it. I can and do it

on certain occasions. But not daily. No streetlights out here at night so it must come in at night. Yet I feel I am patriotic. As far as those that "more or less" attach a flag to their vehicles, leave it on till it is in tatters or falls off, still on the vehicle night and day,

rain or sun without any thought. This is not right. Too many times I damn near got ran over in picking up a battered flag that came off a vehicle and was in the road. One other gripe I have is people putting stick on flags in their bumpers or windows of other

countries. Cant help but wonder why they do it. Arent they Americans and proud of it?

I do not fly a flag on my vehicle and will not do so. Instead of a flag on my vehicle I have my 3rd Infantry patch decal inside my rear window, and display my special liscense plates which NJ gives me free showing I am a combat Infantry vet (with a pic of the CIB, combat vet, and letters C..I for combat Infantry. ) Naturally to get these plates one must include positive proof of the award to the MV Dept. See pic. Many of us are patriotic but in our own damn ways. So dont try to change me. Sorry guys and gals but thats "MY WAY". Myself, my older brother and my deceased Dad were all combat vets of WW 2 and do things OUR OWN WAYS when it comes to being patriotic..

It aint what a person SHOWS, it is what a person has in ones heart. Nuff said.

That was very nice Joe. I am placing this on my car this weekend. I've had it for a while now, but never got around to putting it on my car. Obviously the flag which is shown here is strictly for show purposes only. I will be proud to have this on my Ford Focus.

licensePlateFrame.jpg

Marion J Chard

Naturally, in my senile old age I forgot the pic of the plates to be added to my post.

post-1-1157734832_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   cibplates.jpg (Size: 28.38 KB / Downloads: 0)

Very nice. Great thing to have on your car. They did a nice job. Three cheers for NJ. :drinkin::drinkin::drinkin:

Marion J Chard

Hi Marion,

My first post since finding your terrific site. I have spent hours and hours just browzing through it. While looking at the photo album of the 540 engineers contributed by JOEL HINKOFF. I found a photo of an old schoolmate. I grew up with and attended elementary school with Sgt C. Carter. I was with the 389th Port Battalion I met him when the 540th was camped just outside of Naples, also at the Anzio Beachhead. What a small world.

I will close now, but you have not heard the last from me. I have a lot of the 389th history to contribute for your history book. I just have to learn more on how to do it.

Thanks again for your wonderful pages.

Hi McGarvey; Welcome aboard. You have found THE place to find friends. Marion has a site you will see no other place. If you are looking for a place where you can be yourself and talk to friends, relate war experiences to a sympothetic ear, and just mix it up, you are here. Mare is a "Whippersnapper" to most of us. But don't count her out. She is her Daddy's GIRL.

I will not try to explain her. As you go amoung us, you will find what we all know.

Take care McGarver;

P.S. Let me guess, [ C ] is it chris, Calvin, Chauncy, Chuck, oh no not Clarissa.

Give us a clue?

chucktoo

Hello Marion! It's 7:45pm, We were back from our reunion this afternoon. And

yes indeedy, I officiated the reunion. At the start of the meeting I was sworn in as acting president to make it legal. And I thought , if Marion could see me now,

all my feelings of being queezy were gone. Anyway it was a wonderful 3 days and to top it off I met with a buddy that we hadn't seen each other since Sept. of '45 in Italy. And now I am a bonifide President for 2006-2007. NEXT THING, You know the book, Dogfaces who smiled----,The auther,Homer Ankrum, His daughter,

Ellen Ankrum was present so I had a long talk with her and told her in lengh about

the 6thcorpscombatengineers.com. So she assured me tat as soon as she gets

home she is going to e-mail you. I passed out yoour business cards so hopefuly you might hear from some other RED BULLS. Elizabeth is still sick and I will take her to the Doc. Monday. Glad to be back home. Rocky

My license plate has the Bronze Star and it reads 34th DIVN.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medal of Honor recipient order to remove flag pole CaptO 5 7,565 12-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter