Photos of our WWII Veteran Forum Members

Here's a photo with an interesting history. This is what Jim relayed:

This is a photo that can be found on the website below. This was a boxer named Billy Conn, who was from Pittsburgh, PA, and one of his boyhood heroes. He never dreamed he'd be on his website. The photo can be seen there under Photos/Publicity.

http://billyconn.net/

Jim received a letter from Tim Conn, the son of the boxer:

Jim:

I identified you on the website. Believe it or not about a week after you sent me the photo I got an email from a soldier in Japan telling me that his father was stationed in Paris during the war and drove my father around on VE day. His dad happened to be from Pittsburgh. He asked me if I had any articles concerning that day. I told him it just so happens that i have a photo taken that day and that his dad may just be in it. I emailed him the photo and sure enough his father is in it. He is in top row 3rd. from rt. wearing a cap. Photo is creased on his face. It has been confirmed by 3 family members that it is him. His name was Mark Schreiber. He was career military man, retired a full colonel and died a few days before 9/11.

What a coincidence!...

Tim Conn

Billy celebrating with the troops at the 191st General Hospital in Paris France on VE (Victory in Europe) day, May 8, 1945 (courtesy of Jim Hennessey - center, back row, arrow).

post-2-1191331590_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   parishospital.jpg (Size: 301.82 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Photos of our WWII Veteran Forum Members - by Walt's Daughter - 10-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  527 Light Pontoon Company, photos from Bud Pendergast Mark Pendergast 3 5,839 03-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: colinhotham
  More 36th Engineer photos - current Walt's Daughter 2 6,202 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Jim Davis - photos from the war Walt's Daughter 4 10,025 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Photos of our other veterans Walt's Daughter 4 9,419 01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Last Post: 206thmpco