World War II's Army Eng Fire Fighting Platoons

Hi all,

My father, William Henry Mackey, Jr. (deceased) was a member of the 1222nd Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon originally based at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana. I am trying to find any information related to this platoon, but between the lack of historians noting these small platoons as Jim noted and the personnel records fire in 1973 that destroyed many military records including my Father’s, I haven’t been able to find much.

I've also had some trouble just figuring out where they fit in the Order of Battle. I know my Dad was stationed in Wrangaton, Devon, England prior to D-DAY and then spent the rest of the war from D-Day +3 on, in France (mainly from all of the letters he received from friends he made there), but beyond that, have very little to go on.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I are taking our first trip to France this fall and will be visiting Paris and Normandy. I am hoping to visit at least some of the places my Dad did 69 years ago.

Sincerely,

-Patrice Mackey

Messages In This Thread
World War II's Army Eng Fire Fighting Platoons - by Jim Davis - 06-04-2008, 02:22 PM
World War II's Army Eng Fire Fighting Platoons - by chefjuke - 05-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello From Alexandria, VA Interested in Engineer Aviation Firefighting Platoons 90th_history 7 9,045 12-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Polar Bear Association of World War II yankeeal 1 4,542 09-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter