Douglas Aulenbacher - 1290th CE

Okay here we go Barbara. Will try and print ANYTHING I come across for the 1290th. Unfortunately the bn/reg did not show up in my, as I call it, Engineering Bible! :D But, I will have something to share with you.

---------------------

Here's a little tidbit I found this morning...

Eugene Arlin Malenius of Eveleth was inducted into the Army on Sept. 16, 1943. He was a private first class and salvage technician with Company A, 1290th Engineer Battalion, in Central Europe. "We were sent to the war zone with four other units. We were able to tour war-torn Europe and were able to see the concentration camp at Dachau. The stench of burned humans still permeated the area." He won the Good Conduct Medal, European-African-Middle East Campaign Service Medal with a bronze battle star, American Campaign Service Medal and the World War II Victory Medal. He was discharged on Dec. 30, 1945.

----------------------

I strongly suggest that you see the links under my RESEARCH Section. I would contact the Army Corps of Engineers. They usually have folders on each engineer regiment. They have been a tremendous help to me and others on this site. Ask to speak with Michael Brodhead and tell him I sent you. He will KNOW who I am. :lol:

http://208.56.11.96/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23

----------------------

I also strongly suggest that you contact my friend Richard Horrell. He does private research and has over 5000 books in his library. He's also bound to come up with info that I simply do not have at this moment. You will also find his name under the section link above.

I will keep looking. Keep us informed on your progress. Hopefully someone will see this link and be able to offer their two cents. Who knows, maybe another member of the 1290th will post here. That would be a real treat.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Douglas Aulenbacher - 1290th CE - by Walt's Daughter - 01-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Douglas Aulenbacher - 1290th CE - by Custermen - 01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Douglas Aulenbacher - 1290th CE - by Custermen - 01-25-2006, 10:27 PM